- for the common cold: dissolve 2 zinc tablets (23 mg) in your mouth slowly
at the first sign of a cold, then two more every 2 hours.
- for headache pain: drink two glasses of Gatorade
without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers.
- Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.
- to clear up a stuffed nose, chew on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints
instead of using a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals
- to relieve achy muscles from a bout of the flu, mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish
in a cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil
- to relieve a sore throat, mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take
1 Tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
- to cure a urinary tract infection, use Alka-Seltzer. Dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer works almost instantly.
- to eliminate puffiness under your eyes, use a dab of preparation H carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. Hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vasoconstrictor to relieve the swelling instantly.
- for skin blemishes, use honey. Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and cover with a band-aid. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile and speeds healing. Works overnight.
- for toenail fungus, soak your toes in Listerine mouthwash. It is a powerful antiseptic that will leave your toenails looking healthy again.
- for eyeglass protection, to prevent the screws from loosening, apply a small drop of clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.
- to cure rust, use Coca-Cola. Forget expensive rust removers. Saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. Phosphoric acid in the coke gets the job done.
- to kill bugs, use most any cleaning liquid. Get rid of menacing bees, wasps, hornets,
or yellow jackets . Try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.
- to remove splinters, put a drop of Elmers glue on the splinter, let it dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.
- to cure a boil, use Hunt's tomato paste. Cover the boil with the tomato paste as a compress. Acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.
- to disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine. It is a powerful antiseptic.
- to heal bruises, use vinegar. Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds the healing process.
- to kills fleas instantly, use Dawn dish washing liquid. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations.
- to eliminate rainy day dog odor, wipe it down with Bounce or any dryer anti-static sheet to make your dog smell springtime fresh.
- to eliminate ear mites in cats, put in a few drops of Wesson corn oil, massage it in, and clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.
- to cure hair balls, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose.
The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.
- for fast pain relief, mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.
- to remove warts, cut a dime-size piece from a banana peel, put it pulp side down on
the wart, and cover with a bandage to hold it in place overnight. Remove in the morning. Appl a fresh peel nightly until the wart disappears, usually in abnout 14 days. Banana pulp contains mucilage that kills the wart without harsh chemicals so skin heals flawlessly.
- to open a sealed envelope, put it in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife under the flap to open. The envelope can then be resealed.
- to store appliance cords, use an empty toilet paper roll. Keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
- to remove ice from doorsteps in freezing temperatures, put Dawn dishwashing liquid in warm water and pour it on the steps. They won't refreeze.
- to remove crayon marks on walls, dip a damp rag in baking soda and use elbow grease.
- to remove permanent marker ink on appliances and counter tops, use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel.
- cut S.O.S pads in half with scissors to double their useful time. It also sharpens the scissors.
- to remove blood stains, pour on hydrogen peroxide. Now, where to put the body?
- to find and remove window streaks, use vertical strokes washing outside windows and horizontal inside. Use straight vinegar for outside. Do not wash on a sunny day as they dry too fast and streak.
- to create a pleasant light scent, spray perfume on a light bulb.
- to keep dresser drawers smelling fresh, place fabric softener sheets in them.
- to make candles last longer, place them in the freezer for 3 hours prior to burning.
- to clean artificial flowers, pour salt into a paper bag, add flowers, shake vigorously. The salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave artificial flowers looking new.
- to remove burnt on food from a skillet, add a drop of dish soap and bring it to boil on the stove top.
- to avoid staining Tupperware with tomato based sauces, spray with nonstick cooking spray before using.
- to keep celery fresh longer, wrap in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator
- to enhance sweetness when boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to the water.
- to cure a headache, cut a lime in half and rub it on the forehead. Throbbing goes away.
- freeze leftover wine into ice cubes and use in casseroles and sauces.
- for instant relief from mosquito bites, apply soap on the area.
- Ants never cross a chalk line, so draw a line to coral them.
- to clean mirrors, use an air-freshener.
- to remove a splinter, try scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle.
- to clean a toilet, add two tablets fo Alkaseltzer, wait 20 minutes, brush, and flush.
- to remove a stain from a glass vase, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
- to polish jewelry, add two Alka Seltzer tablets in a glass of water and immerse for 2 minutes.
- to clean a thermos. Fill with water, drop in 4 Alka Seltzer tablets, let soak for an hour.
- to unclog a drain, drop in 3 Alka Seltzer tabs, then a cup of white vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then add hot water.
- to eliminate a watermark on furniture, rub the meat of a walnut or almond gently on the finish.